Do kids really need Yoga in their lives? The answer is YES and the reasons why they need it are many.
Children today live in a very fast-paced world. Between pressures from school, extra curricular activities, their peers, parents, and society, the hustle and bustle of every day life can quickly wear down on a child’s inner peace and joy. All of these pressures and expectations can lead to a whole lot of stress, and while most kids are not familiar with the concept of stress, they can still experience what it feels like without giving it a label or name.
Children deal with many distractions, temptations, over stimulation and peer pressure. I’m sure many parents agree that kids of today spend way too much time indoors and spend way too much time on technology. Not all kids are sporty or athletic, yet we know that playing a sport has many benefits. However if a child isn’t coordinated, fast or simply doesn’t like sport, it can actually have a negative effect on them. All parents want their children to have confidence and a positive self-image. They want them to feel part of a healthy, non-competitive group, right?
Continue reading and learn the many benefits that Yoga for children (and adults)
BENEFITS OF YOGA FOR CHILDREN
- Assists neuromuscular-development
- Promotes development of the vestibular system
- Encourages mid-line crossing motions; motor development on both sides of the body
- Develops a strong and flexible body
- Increases balance, body awareness and coordination
- Improves posture and alignment
- Develops core strength, essential for good posture and correct physical alignment
- Reduces injuries and improves performance
- Improves digestion, circulation and elimination
- Strengthens the immune system
- Relaxes the body, promoting better sleep
- Builds confidence and self-esteem
- Supports character development and emotional intelligence
- Enhances team skills and social interaction
- Develops discipline and self-control
- Supports individuality and self-expression
- Encourages social and environmental awareness and responsibility
- Supports a sense of universal connectedness
- Inspires respect for self and others
- Calms and clears the mind, bringing us into the present moment
- Relieves tension and stress
- Increases concentration, focus and attention span
- Promotes thinking and memory
- Stimulates auditory processing and responsiveness
- Expands imagination and creativity
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves ability to be less reactive; more mindful of thoughts, words and actions
- Balances energy (high or low)
- Improves mind/body connection
- Encourages a fit and healthy lifestyle
- Promotes an overall sense of well-being
- Increase their confidence and positive self-image
- Feel part of a healthy, non-competitive group
- Have an alternative to tuning out through constant attachment to electronic devices
Have you ever considered Yoga for your child?
Yoga helps children see the beauty and light within themselves. This in turns boosts their self-confidence, allowing them to feel more comfortable with their bodies. A child who learns yoga, mindfulness and relaxation will be developing essential skills for a lifetime of health and wellness in mind, body and spirit.
We encompass the 5 branches of Yoga in a clear and engaging method. A typical class gets the children singing, dancing, skipping, marching, jogging, shaking, laughing, hopping, limboing, and storytelling ALL while practising authentic Yoga. It’s SO much fun your kids will LOVE it!